Friday, January 21, 2011

Can you hear me now? (Phone Book Opt-Out)

I hate junk mail. I hate almost all mail, period. And because of this, I hate AT&T.

I have not once used AT&T's services in the 6+ years I've lived at my current residence. And yet they send me junk mail every week. I've tried to get off their mailing list, but they have told me there is no way for them to remove me because I do not hold an account with them. If I used their services, I'd have an account with them and I'd be able to set my mailing preferences. Go figure. (By the way, Insight Communications is the same way.)



So I was really excited to find Yellow Pages Opt-Out, a site that will supposedly direct you to where you can opt out of all phone book mailing lists in your area. Simply type in your zip code and voila!

Unfortunately, the site they suggested for AT&T's phone book distribution, AT&T Advertising Solutions, would not allow me to enter my mailing list preferences, because I do not have an AT&T-provided phone number. Because I don't have an account with them I can't set my mailing preferences.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY???



Luckily, the site they suggested for Yellow Book was much more helpful. Now, I only receive one company's phone books on my doorstep instead of two. In the meantime, according to DowntownColumbus.com, Columbus recycling companies will now accept phone books, which has not always been the case because of the paper quality.

Progress, I suppose. Slow, slow progress.

(See The Paper Monster post for more tips on reducing your junk mail consumption.)

Update as of 9/15/2011: Yellow Pages Opt-Out now allows you to manage all subscriptions for all phone books that are delivered to your address. I requested 0 copies of the Yellow Pages phone book and am hoping that the next deliver will skip my doorstep. Crossing fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment