Monday, July 13, 2009

Bee Green, Honey!

Though I've never picked up the small-town colloquialism of calling people "Hon", I have begun to appreciate the taste of honey. As the only food product that will never go bad, it is on my list of favorite ingredients to eat with a spoon when I'm too lazy to go grocery shopping.



So, when my sister, of Photo Kitchen Photography, asked if I'd like to assist with a photo shoot for a local beekeeper earlier this week, I jumped at the opportunity.



It seems that the honey industry, like most others, has not been able to resist the urge to use chemicals in the hopes of producing more while spending less.

But Isaac, from Honeyrun Farm, has a few tricks up his sleeve to keep the chemicals at bay. Honeyrun Farms produces chemical-free honey by regularly splitting hives, forcing the creation of new queen bees and keeping the hives free of mite infestation.



Interested in finding out more? Check out their blog . Or better yet, visit them at the North Market, where they sell their tasty wares on Saturdays.

(As an interesting side note, local honey is thought to help tame seasonal allergies, much like an vaccine helps to build up your immunity to viruses. Though there is only anecdotal evidence for this, it never hurts to add a little bit of honey sweetness to your oatmeal or cereal in the morning!)

1 comment:

  1. What a yummy post! I never once considered if my honey was chemical free - gives me something to think about before I spread anymore on peanut butter crackers! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete