Sunday, November 27, 2011

Grow What You Eat: Tomatoes

I actually started some tomato plants from seed, which I had done in 2010 with great success.

Not so much this time around. I think I started the seeds in early April in an egg carton inside for close to six weeks. I then spent about a week getting them acclimated to the weather by setting them outside for a couple of hours at the time.

May 20, 2011

Though they were still quite tiny, I went ahead and planted them. With a few days, the spring rains had all but decimated them. 

So....I bought a 4-pack of roma tomato plants at Westerville Farmer's Market on May 25, 2011 for $4. This broke my rule regarding 4-inch pots, but I've grown tomatoes before and figured I could make these work without much trouble.

May 25, 2011

They grew large fairly quickly, so I bought a tomato cage to help keep them upright.

June 9, 2011

They started to produce green tomatoes in late June.

June 29, 2011

Then the tomatoes turned red.

July 29, 2011

But a lot of them were rotted on the bottoms. I asked my co-worker, Susan, what that meant and she said that it was a sign of them being over-watered. It was an unusually wet spring and summer, so that made sense.

July 29, 2011

Once I stopped watering them as often, the tomatoes stopped rotting and I was able to get a couple of handfuls from the plant.

August 11, 2011

Oddly, I had a volunteer tomato plant sprout up out of the wooden box that I had used to grow the peas and beans.

August 27, 2011
Unfortunately, this one had too late of a start and the cherry tomatoes never ripened.

The same happened for many of the roma tomatoes. I think they just didn't get enough sun throughout September and October.

September 5, 2011

Thing I'll Do Differently Next Year:

I'll use a wooden box just for the tomato plants, instead of making the peppers and tomatoes share a box.

I'll also make sure to cut down on the watering, and I may try to find a slightly sunnier location for them so that they get enough light to ripen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment