Saturday, November 24, 2012

By Hand: Unplugged Utensils in the Kitchen

Using non-electric utensils in the kitchen is not always practical or preferable, but sometimes going old school isn't so bad.


 Here are my favorite non-electric tools for the kitchen:
  • Can opener - Growing up, we always had an electric can opener. Not until I went to college did I find out that opening a can was just as easy with a hand-cranked can opener. Added bonus: it frees up prime real estate on the counter top.
  • Garlic press - I know a lot of people who use mini food processors to chop garlic, but really, unless you're doing a whole jar's worth, it's a lot easier and a lot less messy to use a garlic press. (Confession: I only use the press to break the skin of the clove, then chop with a knife so I don't have to wash out the press, which can get a bit messy. I probably don't even need this tool, but as long as there's space in the drawer, I'll keep it.)
  • French press - Although I still have to use an electric appliance (i.e. a microwave or stove) to heat the water, this handy dandy device is still one of my favorites. (Learn more from my previous post.)
  • Juicer - I don't do a lot of heavy duty juicing, so a simple citrus squeezer does the trick for me. Right now, the one I have is plastic. I'm tempted to upgrade to stainless steel, but don't want to be wasteful. 
  • Knife - The most versatile tool in the world. Although blenders and food processors and mixers might do it faster, there's something about the monotony of chopping up a mound of veggies that I find to be quite comforting.
  • Potato masher - Yeah, it's a bit more work, but lumpy mashed potatoes can be charming, right? And hey, you're building muscle, or so you tell yourself.
And don't forget about the most versatile tool that you're never without: your hands.

1 comment:

  1. I love chopping my own things by hand, too! I love the texture it gives the food. I think processing it makes it mushier. :) I think I'm biased to all this because I love cooking and baking so much. :)

    ReplyDelete