Friday, August 6, 2010

CSA Diary: Week Eleven

So, I wanted to preface this post by saying that the "what I got" section of my CSA diary is a bit a-typical. This is my 4th(?) year with my CSA, and it has been a rough one. Weather has prevented our farmers from gleaning all that they had planned for in this year's harvest. This is why joining a CSA is so important to farmers. It makes it slightly less of a gamble for those using organic practices to weather out the bad years when they know that they have loyal clients who will continue to support them. It's difficult, knowing that my bounty isn't quite as plentiful as it has been in past years, but then again, it's given me an excuse to eat out more often!

What I Got:
  • banana pepper
  • basil
  • eggplant
  • garlic
  • green pepper
  • jalapeno pepper
  • tomatoes (3 different kinds)

What I Made:
  • Rainbow Salsa: I diced up the deep purple, cherry red and bright yellow tomatoes along with the green, banana and jalapeno peppers and a few cloves of garlic to make a tasty salsa. Throw in a bit of lemon and some diced onion and you're set!
  • Eggplant Parmesan, Kinda: Diced up an eggplant and sauteed it with a few cloves of garlic and some olive oil. Added in some basil and some marinara sauce, then topped with almonds, mozzarella cheese and some Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. The almonds replaced the texture of the usual bread crumbs and added to the nuttiness of the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment