Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Royal Flush

Yes, I have decided to talk about the porcelain throne and all of the jewels that go with it.

So, here are a few tips for your next visit with Sir John:
  • Be noble; if your toilet is leaking or dripping, get it fixed.
  • Reign it in. Your toilet paper waste, that is. Though toilet paper does technically grow on trees, it is still a costly environmental luxury. So be sure to only use what's necessary to get the job done.
  • Crown the trash can queen and avoid flushing things like tissues, condoms or tampons. These items have to be fished back out before the water can be released back into the wild and nobody wants that job.
  • Go for gold: Buy toilet paper that's made from recycled content. I swear, it's not that bad. I disagree with Grist's rating of Whole Foods' 365 toilet paper, but you may find this article useful when searching for TP that's kind to your bum.
  • Duke it out. Though you might not be ready to go with a dual-flush or composting toilet, be sure that when you replace an old toilet you buy one that meets the new standard of 1.6 gallons of water per flush.
  • The jester's favorite: When it's yellow, let it mellow. When it's brown, flush it down. (Of course, this method works best for those of us who live alone.)


Moral of the story? Don't be a royal pain in the a** when it comes to eco-friendly excrement. It's not that hard to be kind to mankind and your behind.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, thanks for the tip, Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tips. I totally agree with "when it's yellow, let it mellow". My hubby, however, does not. When I was prego and peeing every 5 minutes, I put this rule into effect. He was not happy about it and still needs some convincing. I blame his attitude on where he grew up (Dublin) and my attitude on where I'm from (WV):)

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can save water and have a guilt free flush, Yellow is not always mellow. i hold flushing at night but in the day I flush away. I installed a dual flush toilet retrofit kit. I am saving water and have a guilt free flush when needed.

    ReplyDelete