Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sew Green

Here are a few recent projects I've made with eco-friendly materials:



This desk organizer (or art room organizer, as I hope it will become) was made using an old Planters Peanuts tin, an upholstery fabric sample and a sewing machine.

I got the peanut tin from GFS. It took almost 9 months to eat that many peanuts, but they don't go bad, so it was a great deal at just $5. The upholstery fabric sample came in a huge batch from a friend's grandmother. I guess she had held on to them for years, thinking she would one day find a use for them. (The samples were victims of secondhand smoke, but I think some fresh air has cured them.)



This wall organizer was also made using the upholstery samples, as well as some scrap fabrics from other projects. (BTW, the dowel rod is not at all green. Just a simple wood rod from Jo-Ann's. I'm sure I could have found something else had I waited long enough. I'll be sure to keep my eye out for broken broom handles and the like.)

I guess the moral of this story is that if you hold on to random items long enough, you'll find a way to reuse them.

No comments:

Post a Comment