Saturday, March 21, 2009

Stalking Broccoli

For some reason, it never occurred to me that you can eat broccoli stalks just like you can eat the florets. But I read somewhere recently that you can boil them, puree them and use them for soup, so I thought I'd try it out and it worked!



Here's the recipe I made up:

Broccoli florets
Broccoli stalks
Baking potato
Water
Salt
Pepper
Half and Half
Cheddar cheese

I boiled the stalks and potato until soft, then used my new potato masher to puree them in a bowl. I used a little bit of the water from boiling to thin them out, then added half and half, broccoli florets, salt and pepper (to taste). Boiled until the florets were soft, then topped with cheddar cheese. Voila, an easy meal for the next four evenings!

Now I don't have to waste half of the broccoli that I bring home!

1 comment:

  1. Yumm! It's funny, when my mom gave us broccoli, it was stems and all. Is that the same as stalks? When I deigned to eat my veggies as a kid (not often), the stems were included. I much prefer broccoli in soup form, though!

    ReplyDelete