Monday, January 19, 2009

The Last of the CSA Vegetables

I don't much love squash. Pumpkin, butternut, spaghetti, zucchini...they are all a little weird to me. But, unlike celery, I can eat them, as long as they're dressed up a bit.

So tonight I cooked up the last of the vegetables from my CSA. Two lonely butternut squash and one delicata (Sweet Potato) squash finally met their fate, almost three months after they arrived at my house. Gotta love veggies that refuse to go bad (no matter how much you secretly want them to.)

Below is the recipe, in case you also have a few stragglers.

----

Spiced Winter Squash Soup with Fake Bacon

A medium onion (eliminated tonight for lack of desire to go to grocery store)
Garlic (also from my CSA)
Squash (3 of medium size)
Coriander
Cumin
Red pepper flakes
Vegetable stock
Organic 1/2 and 1/2
Fake Morningstar Bacon

Poke holes in squash with fork, then bake on a cookie sheet until soft. (About 30 minutes at 375 degress, though not an exact science.) Once cool, remove seeds and scoop out the insides. Blend in a food processor until liquid, somewhat like the consistency of baby food. Saute onion, then add all ingredients in order listed above. Cook until boiling, then serve with crushed bacon on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment